Sunday, February 1, 2015

Nana's Biscuits

**this post is mostly just for my baby sis who lives 1000 miles away making it impossible for us to bake together as much as we'd like... but you are welcome to "tag" along!

This weekend has been the perfect time to make comfort food and snuggle up by the warm fire and watch the snow fall.
One of those things we made is a recipe I have been working on for some time, biscuits, like my mama makes.  Now getting a recipe from her is kind of difficult.  She puts a pinch of this and a little of that along with a whole lot of love into a bowl and out come 100% pure yummyness. I think she may have once upon a time kind of followed a recipe from my daddy's sister Sylvia so part of this credit probably actually belongs to her. There are those childhood favorites that we just must capture and pass along to the next generation....this is one of them!
  • 1 c. flour (she always used King Arthur)
  • 1/2 t. salt
  • 2 t. sugar (organic evaporated cane is what I use)
  • 2 t. bkg pwd.
  • 1 t. ground flax seeds
  • 2 T. butter
  • 1/2 c. milk
Now I am not a food photographer (wish I was...maybe someday!) As I stated before, I am mostly attempting a documented with photos recipe for my sis 1000 miles away.

Start with your favorite bowl.  Mine is an old antique find I got at a yard sale for $.50

Mix all dry ingredients with a fork

Cut butter into dry mix

With your hands or a pastry cutter make crumbs with the butter and flour mix

Gently add milk and mix with fork

You will have a moist, slightly sticky dough

Pat out into a small circle.  Mama always drops her dough onto the baking sheets 
so that works too.  But we prefer the rolled dough.

A juice glass works perfectly to make just right circles.
Place onto baking sheet and bake at 425 for about 10 minutes.  
Make sure to not overbake.

We love to eat them in many different ways, including hot with 
real butter!

We are also fans of topping them with jelly, honey, cheese or real maple syrup.

No matter how, they are always delightful to the last bite! 

Thanks to my 8 year old for helping me take these pictures.










No comments:

Post a Comment