Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Easy Peasy Healthy Lasagna

I am always on the quest to better our diet as a family.  That can be challenging with a dear hubby who grew up on the typical American Mennonite diet consisting of high amounts refined white carbs, cream of mushroom soup and Velveeta cheese. Tonight however I concocted something healthy that actually ended up being quite tasty.  Not only did I use whole wheat lasagna noodles (bleh is what I would've thought about that before trying these!) I actually used my trusty vita mix to whip up an amazing very green (literally) cheese concoction that won the hearts of my kidos who now think green cheese is the coolest thing ever. (kind of reminds me of the fun I have sneaking cabbage into the Vita mix ice cream I make for them--but that's a post for another day when it's much warmer. And hey don't knock it before you try it- it really is good too!  Come over and I'll make you some just to prove it)
Here is how I did it:

I started out with these. For a 9 x 13 pan I used one box and 2 or 3 noodles from another

Begin by preheating oven to 350
Brown 1 lb burger of your choice
I brought up a qt of my home canned tomato/pizza sauce and started out with some of that in the bottom of the pan then laid out the first layer of noodles.
I covered that with the yummy green cheese mixture which consists of the following:
1 c Ricotta cheese (which BTW I got in a large container at a bargain price and froze in cup portions)
3 cups fresh spinach
1/2 c Parmesan cheese (preferably fresh)
1 egg
Blend all ingredients in blender till smooth and green   (LOL)

Follow with another layer of noodles then layer of burger then noodles again.  Top with rest of sauce
Pour 1 c water around the outside (not on) of the noodles to help cook them (such a time saver to not have to precook!)
Bake covered for 45 minutes 
Uncover and sprinkle 1 c of cheese ( I just had co-jack tonight)
and bake till cheese melts.

Enjoy!


I so enjoy making food that is actually good for my family and is equally enjoyable!  My children have not licked their plates as clean as they did tonite in quite a while so we will be having this one again soon.



No comments:

Post a Comment